Monday, August 4, 2008

Bumps & Cuts

On Friday July 18th I woke up with a very painful bump on my chin. I thought great I'm getting a zit. By Friday night this bump was incredibly hard and very big. By Saturday I thought I must have been bitten by a bug and had an allergic reaction. Each day it got worse by Sunday it was so big I could not talk very well. Monday we finally decided to go to my old doctor (since insurance still has not started with the new job). He took one look and said it was a staph infection. He lanced it and got a bunch of puss out. It hurt like crazy. My mom and kids were in the room with me. Madalyn & Ethan were very concerned about me (neither of them care for Dr.s, especially Ethan since his big ordeal last year). Once he had gotten lots of puss out of it he bandaged it and gave me prescriptions for pain and an antibiotic. The next day I went back to the Dr. for a check-up. He said it was doing very well and it would take about a week for it to get better. Once I had finished my 10 days of antibiotics my chin was back to normal. Although I do have a scar 1/2 an inch long where it was lanced.

On Sunday July 13th Ethan had a run in with a garden wagon and cut his lip. We were worried it was all the way through. Once he let us get a good look at it we could tell that he had a cut on the inside of his lip from his teeth. He also had a cut on the outside from the wagon. He would not let us keep ice on it but he finally let us put a Popsicle on it (the kind in the plastic tube that you freeze after you buy them. It worked really well. His swelling went down rather quickly and he let me put some "steri strips" on it to hold it together. After some Motrin he felt much better and has heeled very well with a very thin scar.

1 comment:

jmholloway said...

I just thought that you might want to know that I didn't notice the scar at all. I know that I am not the most observant person on the earth, but it probably isn't as bad as you think. I am so sorry that you had that happen. Did your doctor say what caused it, or how to prevent it from happening again?

Mindi :)

ps I cannot thank you enough for taking care of the girls for me. It definitely made that night easier for us. AND for being there for me. I am sorry I was so crazy, but I needed your shoulder at the time and you recognized that need and met it. Thank you forever!!!!! I love you!