Friday, February 8, 2008

Now I KNOW how my Mother felt...

Today one of my good friends that I grew up with came over to my parents with her two girls to visit me and my kids. After we had visited for a couple of hours we decided it was time for lunch at Chick-fil-A. We got into our cars and started down the street. I went one way and Mindi went the other way. Here is my conversation with my 4 year old on the way to Chick-fil-A.

Madalyn: "what happened to Mindi"?

Me: "she went a different way, we will see her in a few minutes".

Madalyn: "oh, Mom we are going to get lost & we don't know where to go".

Me: "Madalyn I grew up in this town I know how to get to Chick-fil-A".

Madalyn: "are you sure we won't get lost"

Me: "yes, I am sure"

Madalyn: "okay, Mom".

On our way home from Chick-fil-A we had much the same conversation only this time she had a little more to say.

Madalyn: "Mom, would you slow down you are driving too fast"

Me: "Madalyn, I am driving the speed limit"

Madalyn: "you are going to get in trouble by the police man".

Me: "no I won't, I am still driving the speed limit".

Madalyn: "well are sure you know where you are going"?

Me: "Madalyn, please stop telling me how to drive".

As I said those last words I could remember my mother & I having a very similar conversation. Now I know how my mother felt when her young daughter was trying to correct the way she drove.

6 comments:

The Bergquist Fam said...

ha! madalyn and jimmy are so similiar!

On Our List said...

Don't you hate those moments where you realize you are more like your mother each day? I do. Thanks for visiting my blog and adding me. I added you to my blog so we can stay in touch. This is so fun.

On Our List said...

Sorry to keep making comments but when I tried to get back to my site by clicking on my link from your site it said the page was not found. I looked and the address has a typo(an a is missing in faragher) it should read http://dougandsharonfaragher.blogspot.com/
Its okay, I still misspell my last name after 7 years of marriage.

Moore Fun Stories said...

Kids say the funnest things. Can you imagine the things she's going to say about your driving when she's a teenager? Our mom's did put up with a lot :).

robyncreates said...

that is too funny!

Steph Thomas said...

The funny thing about that is when I was in MT this last summer, my mom and I were driving somewhere I had never been before even though I grew up in the area. Since I had a different idea of where this place was I questioned my mom a few times to make sure we weren't going the wrong way. I guess some things never change:)