Monday, April 21, 2008

4 Months Down...

We have lived here for 4 months. I think I have been suffering with depression because I have not felt like we moved into a very friendly ward.
  • First of all I was introduced as a new person for the first 3 months.
  • I am very quite person when I don't know anyone and I tried to sit with people but it didn't really help. No one really talked to me.
  • We finally got callings about 3 weeks ago as Primary teachers.
  • We had no H.T. until last night when they dropped by (apparently they tried to meet us the week before but we were in Canada)
  • My V.T. came once but I was in the shower (she talked to Ryan)(I should really call her soon)
  • The R.S. presidency came to meet me and get to know me just yesterday after church.

Well I guess I should not complain but it was really depressing to me and made me miss my old ward that much more (I miss my Bryan Ward Family, y'all were awesome). I have only made one friend (well when I say friend I mean we say Hi at church when we see each other). She moved in at the same time as us and Happened to have the same first name as me. I sat with her a few times in RS but she has a baby boy and it was hard for her to sit with him very long. She also got a calling in YW about a month after moving in.

Ok, sorry for my venting. I am trying to think more positively and come out of my shell. I want to be fair and do my part in making this a good transition for us. Hopefully things will get better.

I should also add that I hate the apartments were we live. This is another source of my depression.

On a brighter note my loving husband and I had a discussion last week about my depression. I made a deal with him that I would do better about taking the kids out to play, cooking, and trying to make the best of our current place of residence.

I am happy to report I have been taking the kids to the park, playing board games, cooking 5 out of 7 dinners, and taking a little more pride in making this place our home. I also have tried to not get on the computer so much (was not part of our deal just something I need to do). It has not been easy to motivate myself to get up everyday but I am working at it one day at a time.

8 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

BEAUTIFUL pic as your header! WOW!

About depression--it really is so hard to be in certain wards. You know, when we moved out here there were 16 other student families that moved with us. I thought we were destined for a great time with tons of built in friends. And it actually went the opposite. Within a few months, it was VERY clear who my friend and who wasn't...and even the "friends" I have, are so casual and hit or miss that not only does it feel like just aquaintences, I feel alone almost constantly.

So, I do know how you feel...we were in a ward once also that we never even met the BISHOP, got callings, had H/V teachers, nothing. I was baffled...shocked even. I look back and wonder--what could I have done better? What could I have done to make the situation a little different. I think now, I could have tried more. I could have gone out of my way to invite someone I didn't know--I could have not waited for everyone to come tO ME first.

Not saying it's your fault, not at all. Just saying that sometimes hindsight makes us see what we could have done better. Wouldn't it be wonderful to see that NOW! :) I hope things start looking up. Just know, if I were there, I would TOTALLY be your friend! You have so much going for you and your beautiful family!! And I feel honored to get to read little bits about your life.

Have a great day! And go call that VT of yours!!

The Bergquist Fam said...

Heather I'm proud of you for making the effort. It can be really hard to take the kids out, and even to just play games with them. That is something I struggle with, it just seems easier to stay home most days and do nothing. Hopefully things will start turning around for you. And don't forget you are always welcome to come visit if you need to get away for a few days :).

Steph Thomas said...

It is very hard to move into a new ward, especially if they don't do new move-in visits. I am not a big fan of change so I can get a glimpse of what you are going through. It is hard to not have anybody around. Good job for doing all that cooking and taking the kids to the park. That is a big accomplishment in my book. I hope things get better for you.

On Our List said...

That is too bad...Unfriendly wards are not fun but maybe things will get better...look on the brighter side maybe they are all so impressed with how good looking and wonderful your family is they are at a lost of words what to say to you. Just call your V.T. and then make a rule to introduce yourself to someone new every sunday and before you know it you will have made a friend.

Also don't beat yourself over getting depressed...we have all been there at some time...you take one day at a time and do the best that you can with that day. Our kids don't care if we are the daily park going mom or the watch a movie all day mom as long as we show them we love them. Isn't that what Elder Ballard was talking about at Conference that we are all different types and kinds of moms but what is important is that our kids know we love them. At least that is what I got from his talk. I know I love you and think you are AWESOME!!!

Love ya,
Sharon

jmholloway said...

Heather, I am so sorry to hear that you are having a hard time with your move. It is really hard to be in a ward that seems to not notice you. Jason and I have been there too. But, we didn't have kids and we already had a support group close. The efforts you are making are helping. It may not seem like it now, but if you stick with them it will change your depression into happiness. Sharon is right, we all have depression at some times in our lives. That is absoltely normal. Change is hard, you can do it. We love you and pray that you will feel better soon.

Mindi :)

Elissa said...

Heather,

I'm sorry that it has been such a hard transition to the new city and ward. You always hope being a member will make things easier. I know things will look up soon. We all love and miss you guys, by the way thanks to you, Ryan, and the kids for the pictures and movie. The kids were so excited to get mail.

Elissa

Heidi said...

Heather~ Girl... trying living out in the boonies for 3 years! I was sooo depressed for the first 4 months or so. It was horrible! My best friend is Zoloft! Lexapro was good too. :-)

When I first moved into Bryan 1st Ward, I was totally in my shell. Years went by, and I didn't fit in. Finally I decided that I had to do something! I MADE myself open up. I still wasn't comfortable speaking up in RS after 11 years in Bryan, but when I moved to my new ward, I didn't stay in my shell. I knew with living out so far I needed to be more open, or I would go crazy more...
Does that make sense? I wish you well. <3

robyncreates said...

Hey there! We miss you guys too! You're doing great! It'll come-some places more slowly than others. I've learned that from moving several times. It's not always easy nor fun though, Hang in there and call anytime. Hey-I loe your new blog look too. I can't find that site you get it from though. Can you send me the actual address maybe? Tks! Smile!