We arrived Thursday afternoon and we spent the afternoon visiting with family and friends (The Kolbs). That evening we met as a family with the preacher to finalize plans for the service and so she could get a feel for what Grandma was like. It was a very touching experience as we all set around reminiscing about Grandma and our favorite memories of her. It was so nice to hear everyone share their memories. My husband (who never met my Grandma)told me afterwards that he felt like my Grandma was their with us enjoying our company and thoughts. We also had the viewing Thursday evening. This was much harder then I had expected it to be. I think as I reflect back on the moment that Grandma seemed very peaceful. As hard as it was I know that she is in a better place and that she was ready to be with her beloved husband again.
Friday was a busy morning as Travis and I prepared a slide show of pictures to represent Grandmas life and family. It took us all morning but we finished and it turned out very nice. The funeral was at 2pm so we rushed to eat and get ready. The service was nice but not what I am accustomed to. My favorite part was the solo "I'll Fly Away". The lady that sang it had a beautiful strong and very controlled voice and was accompanied by another lady on guitar. Ryan (my husband) read a poem called "Heartstrings" that was very appropriate. My Grandma was an Auxiliary member of the Legion so the Auxiliary members had little poem they read at the end and then they formed an honor guard as we left the church. The graveside service was just for family and was again hard. As I set my rose on the casket I reflected on all the beautiful things that my Grandma had taught me and shared with me. Even now as I sit here I think of what a grand person my grandmother was and it touches my heart to have known and loved such a great woman.
The rest of the evening was spent with family and close friends (the Kolbs). We are so grateful to have friends like the Kolbs who graciously let us stay at their home anytime we visited Carnduff since Grandma went into the nursing home. Thank you Jean and Ron for your hospitality and your friendship.
Saturday morning was spent packing and some of us went into the next town, Oxbow, so we could get charm bracelets for all the girls. Apparently they are quite expensive but we got the bracelet plus 10 charms for $5.99. WOW!! It was fun picking out all the charms to represent different things we like or are children like. When we got back to the Kolbs we ate lunch and said our goodbyes. We hit the road once again this time we added two people. My parents flew in early Tuesday but decided to drive back with us. We stopped to take a few pictures along the way. First we had Mason stand by the Carnduff sign with his mom (Amy). Then when we got to Rugby, North Dakota Mason, Travis and Amy took pics at the geographical center of North America.
(The old Grain Elevator in Carnduff)
We had a very cozy drive home and all made it back in one peace. Although I think we will all be catching up on sleep for a while.





5 comments:
glad you guys made it home safe and sound.
off topic, but i love the new top of your page with the kids picture!
You hadn't posted anything for a couple days and I figured you had gone to Canada for the funeral. I am glad you all arrived there and back safely.
love your blogs, you have a real talent for this, but you do have two of the most wonderful subjects to tell about, Love ya
Glad you had a safe trip. It sounds like your Grandma was a wonderful woman, and I am sure she was there with you guys the whole time. Isn't it great we have the gospel to reflect back on at times like this so that we know we will see our loved ones again. What a beautiful entry. By the way it was great seeing a picture of Travis, how is he?
I'm glad you were able to go to your grandma's funeral. What an amazing lady she must have been...she raised your dad who is awesome.
Love ya,
Sharon
P.S. I love your new layout!!!! The picture is so precious!!!
Post a Comment