Friday, April 4, 2008

Pondering my week

On Tuesday, April 1st my grandmother in Canada had her 90th birthday! My parents, Madalyn, Ethan & I were supposed to go to Canada this past weekend to celebrate her birthday. Due to several reasons we were unable to be apart of that celebration.

On Wednesday we went to Bryan after Ryan got off work. Thursday we had a full day planned. My sister watched my kids so that we could go to the temple with my sister- in-law for her endowment session. It was a wonderful feeling to be in the temple with so many of Ryan's siblings and other family members. Later that evening was enrichment and I was so excited to see all my friends in our old ward. I was also excited because they were teaching us how to make the Maya baby sling. I had been wanting to make one for a while and had not been able to do so. Not that I need one (no babies at our house or on the way)I just wanted to make one for the future and once I learned how then I can make a smaller one for Madalyn to use for her baby dolls. I had a wonderful time seeing good friends and trying to sew.

Early this morning my mom called to let me know that my grandmother had passed away in the night. I was still half asleep when she told me so my reaction was very calm. A few minutes after I got off the phone I cried as my husband held me. I got up and got ready for the day and went to my sisters house. I wanted to be with her when my Mom told her. She cried a little and then we talked about how happy we were for grandma to be with grandpa again after nearly 15 years apart. What a wonderful time for them and the stories they have to share with each other.

Ryan and I told Madalyn about her great grandma going to Heaven and she asked if we would see her again. I told her yes, someday we will all be together again. (It brought tears to my eyes as she asked me questions about grandma being in heaven). I told her the greatest blessing of all was that now grandma would have the opportunity to learn about the gospel just like she learns about it in primary and at home. She thought that was really neat. Madalyn gave me several hugs and told me everything was going to be okay. Her little arms wrapped around me was a great comfort to me. It made me feel really good that my little girl seemed to understand that her great grandma was very happy to be in heaven and no longer in pain, without her darling husband.

As I have pondered the passing of my grandmother I have gone through several emotions. I am sad that she is gone but at the same time I am very excited for her next journey. What makes me the saddest is that we were not able to see her this last weekend like we had intended for her 90th birthday. I know that it would have been hard to see her in her condition (she was basically blind, had trouble hearing and was down to 120 lbs). I am however, very greatful for the knowledge I have because of the gospel. I love my grandmother & will miss her dearly.

I think I will have to end my pondering now so that my tears will subside for a time.

8 comments:

On Our List said...

Heather,
I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Even though we know they are in a better place we still feel a loss and sadness when we lose a love one. We also miss them a lot. President Hinckley was a great example of one who showed it was okay to be sad after his dear wife died. I have read quote after quote of the emptyness(sp) he felt every day. Because he was honest, it made me feel better when I am sad to lose someone. May the Lord comfort your heart and lift your spirits as you ponder this lost. How bless you are to have the gospel, so you know you will see her again. Please send my condolences to your dad...it must be hard to lose his mom...I will keep him and all your family in my prayers.

Love ya,
Sharon

Rachel Holloway said...

Oh my! What a week! It is truly touching though, to hear you share your thoughts. Thank you for being so open. It was really neat to read and see how wonderful your relationship was with her and to see your great faith!

Am thinking of you!

jmholloway said...

There is nothing more to say than what has already been said, but I love you and will keep you in my prayers. Like Sharon, give my love to your Dad.

Mindi

The Bergquist Fam said...

we are sorry for your loss, may you be comforted. your family is in our prayers.

Waco Gropp said...

We have loved you and your family for years. The earthly loss of a loved family member is hard. What a great blessing know of the plan of salvation. Your grandmother reminds me of my mother. Be careful on the drive to Canada.

Steph Thomas said...

Sounds like you had an eventful week, for the good and for the bad. I had tears by the time I was done with your post but grateful you shared. It is hard to have grandparents so far away. Both of Chris' grandmas live(d) in Canada. We have already had to go there once for a funeral and we would like to see the other one sometime soon, but do see it in the future anytime soon. Good luck with everything.

Steven & Adrienne said...

Sorry, to hear about your grandmother. She sounds lieks he was an amazing woman, and I am sure she is so happy to be reunited with your grandfather. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings. You have done a wonderful job raising your daughter, because she understands where her great grandmother is and what she is doing! We will keep you and your family in our prayers. Tell your dad we love him and will be praying for him.

Love,
Adrienne

Stamp With Linz said...

Sending you cyber hugs...